RE: [midgetsprite] Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>, <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [midgetsprite] Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:26:24 -0500
Cc: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
While it may not be practical for Frank to do this, for his building trade
work, I find that American made power tools & hardware from the 30s thru the
60s is just about immortal.  If you are patient, and resourceful (the
internet is a fantastic tool for searching stuff out), you can find what you
need to recondition the stuff, and keep it going.
Example: Although I bought one new Gravely tractor, in '86 (still like new,
BTW), I've found that Gravely stuff never wears out, and my old 40s, 50s &
60s Gravely equipment is the best solution to staying ahead of my 7 acres of
(sort of) lawn.
I use an old Eclipse reel mower, which my dad bought new, 45 years ago, to
mow the lawn around the house.
Briggs & Stratton parts are still readily available, for engines made in the
40s, 50s & 60s.
My old Walker floor jack, which a fellow MG guy rebuilt for me, last spring,
will probably last me another 35 years.
Remember when Black & Decker was a top quality tool manufacturer?  I'm still
using my old B&D stuff, from the 60s (although I did get one of those new
Milwaukee cordless drills, a few years ago).
Several years ago, I discovered Hamilton Tool, in Beaver Falls, PA.  This
outfit specializes in buying, selling & trading old tools.  Much of what
they buy is from retiring mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, machinists, and
from local mills, which are closing.  A lot of the stuff is like new!  I've
found some really great, old tools there.  I'm sure there are others, like
Hamilton, in other parts of the country.
I'm DONE with buying new cars, too.  I can run my old stuff (VWs, for the
winter) far cheaper, and more reliably than anything I can buy new.
Bottom line is: I'm through with buying new stuff.  Why pay big bucks for
that chink crap, when I can use American made stuff that will outlast me,
given reasonable care?