Re: Bugeye Rear Springs

To: <kramer.allen@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Rear Springs
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:55:35 -0600
Allen
I disassembled and reassembled the whole rear on my Mk2 Sprite, also a 1/4
elliptic car. I think this could be done without too much trouble. You'd want
a couple sets of floor jacks. First raise the rear and support the car body
itself. I used a large piece of lumber all the way across the rear of the body
at around the rear floor pan (not the boot area, I wouldn't go that far back),
but be sure to not cover up the bolts for the front clamp. Then I'd raise the
axle a bit with a floor jack under the "pumpkin" of the rear axle (final
drive) and remove the bolts holding the rubber check straps, then let the axle
down (remove floor jack) and lightly support the axle tubes with a second pair
of jackstands. Should be able to remove the springs at that point. When the
springs are removed, the axle may seem a bit "off balance" as the radius arms
as well as the springs hold the axle location, but you should be fine. Be sure
the car is right where you want it before starting this.
Dan G