Datsun Transmission Woes x-avg-checked=avg-ok-64847BA2

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Datsun Transmission Woes x-avg-checked=avg-ok-64847BA2
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:08:05 -0800
You guys remember last year I was having problems with my Datsun 210
transmission installation?  I broke-in the cam at 2000 rpm for 20
minutes (5-10 minutes at a time) with the trans in neutral before
filling the transmission with oil.  Some on the list said it should
not hurt it because there should be a film of oil on a the parts of a
drained transmission.  Others pointed to stuck synchros or out of
place shifter forks.  Well, I talked to a transmission re-builder
here in San Bernardino that came highly recommended.  He seemed to be
quite familiar with these transmissions and told me to start looking
for a new one.  He said all the gears were spinning on the main shaft
in neutral and I welded the first gear to the shaft with no oil in
the trans.  He also said start looking for another transmission
because any parts that would have to be replaced would come from
another used transmission as there are no replacement parts for these
transmissions, except bearings and such.  Anyone have a 210 trans for sale?
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite (without a transmission)
56 BN2