Re: MGA question, LBC content, just not Spridget

To: dang@ticon.net
Subject: Re: MGA question, LBC content, just not Spridget
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:04:52 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Dan,

I've got a '62 MGA.

You can do some research on the web for more information, but besides the
usual things you should look out for, the main thing with an MGA is the
condition of the body.

Engines are fairly easily rebuilt and parts are readily available (except
some Twin Cam stuff).  Transmissions and other parts are also relatively
easy to rebuild or source.

Rust is the big enemy of the MGA.  The main thing to watch out for is the
structure between the doors.  The sill is an enclosed box that traps
moisture and the rust typically climbs the pillars that frame the doors.
The whole structure looks like an "F" lying on its side.  If this
structure is solid on both sides you are already way ahead of the game.
If not, you've got a lot of work replacing it and keeping the body
aligned in the process.  Biggest mistake people make is to take a rusty
MGA off the frame with a flimsy or absent center section.  It is very
difficult to get the whole thing lined up again so the doors fit.  In any
case, replacing the F sections is best done by someone with specific
experience doing that on MGAs.  Replacement parts often need adjustment
for alignment, as well.  Not for the faint of heart or the casual
restorer.

If your center section is solid and free of rust (ha!) then a restoration
is relatively simple, as far as car restoring goes.

David Littlefield