Re: NO LBC - Home Defect Rant...

To: RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: NO LBC - Home Defect Rant...
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:20:18 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
RBHouston@aol.com wrote:

>POS bunch of A holes!  He's writing a letter of compaint but doesn't  expect
>any satisfaction.

For what it's worth (and it may be worth absolutely nothing), I am quick
to fire off letters when I have a problem with a company.  And, I fire
them off when I have exceptional service from an employee.  The
difference, however, is that I take the time to learn the name of 1) the
president, 2) the CEO, and 3) the chairman of the board, and send a
letter to each.  (One benefit may be that I have been a professional
wordsmith all my life, and perhaps can write the "right" kind of
letter.)  I have had remarkable results and companies want to suck up to
me, and send "compensation", from boxes of Hershey Bars (they had turned
white and mealy) to free airline tickets (losing a first class
passenger's luggage AND on the same flight giving me an express lane
pass through passport control AFTER it had closed.)

Even Home Disaster has sought to make good.

We wanted to put a small fountain in our courtyard, and Pam liked the
one at Home Defect.  It had a sale price of about $149.  When I tried to
buy one, the cashier was going to charge me the full price of $199.  The
department manager said it was a "mistake", and that someone had just
put it back on the wrong shelf.  Pardon me, I told him, there were SEVEN
of them, all with a sale shelf tag of $149.  On top of that, they
weighed over 100 pounds and were not likely to have been put there by
anyone other than a store employee.  He became snotty, and I just left.

When I got home, I wrote to Robert Nardelli, the president, CEO, and
Chairman. I didn't go into a fit, but calmly let him know what happened,
and subtly let him know that I was "positive" that the employee's
attitude was not that of the corporate office.  A couple of weeks later,
I received a call from the new department manager who asked me to come
in, because they wanted to give me the fountain.   When I went in, I
refused to accept it for "free", because I simply had wanted to get the
sale price to begin with.  The department manager pleaded with me to
take it for free, as without charge, because he had to answer to the
upper echelons.  I felt sorry for the guy, and did accept it free.  But
then I wrote a letter to Nardelli saying that it was not my intention to
get something for nothing, so I was giving a give of $149 to the Susan
Komen breast cancer fund!

Two years later, the fountain is working fine.  Of course, it was made
the the USA!

Buster Evans