Steering Problems

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Problems
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:08:00 -0500
OK, now that I've got a great 1275 in my street Bug, I am turning my attention
to nagging problems. Like steering.

The car wanders, the steering is twitchy - I am over-steering a lot of the
time.  I set up the toe-in to 1/8 inch - that helped a bit, but not enough.

I think I may have too much steering wheel free play.  I can turn the steering
wheel an inch before the wheels start to move. How much is normal?

When I had my alignment checked, the mechanic said my rack and pinion was
'loose'. Haynes talks about backlash and plunger/damper cap preload. Is
backlash the same as steering wheel free play? Is the plunger/damper cap
preload where I should start?

TIA

Bud

Whitey - 1275 Street Bugeye
Redd - 948 Race Bugeye
SilverStreak - 1275 Race Sprite
"The Buddha... resides as comfortably in the gears of a...transmission as he
does in the petals of a flower"

- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance