Re: A Certain unfortunate irony

To: "Jim Rogers" <jarplanner@cox.net>
Subject: Re: A Certain unfortunate irony
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:37:17 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Rogers" <jarplanner@cox.net>

Last trip over to Ireland I was fortunate enough to drive Ron Corry's
bugeye/frogeye along some coast and hill roads. What fun!  The Sprite
was truly meant for those roads, not our freeways or interstates.

Ron was very polite - never said any thing about my poor shifting. For
me it was a combination of wrong hand, and the shift angles never felt
'natural', especially second (down and out, instead of down and in
towards leg).

I will tell my wife Kathy about the "girl in the gutter". She always
calls the front passenger seat the "The seat of terror"; in that she is
only inches from the hedges - no shoulders between travel lane and hedge
in Ireland, and England too I suspect.

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, cA

=================================

On my second to last trip to Ireland, I had rented a 3 series BMW -- not a
big car.

One evening while returning to Limerick from County Cork, we passed through
some small villages.  The roads were so narrow that people parked their cars
with the outside wheels up on the sidewalk.  Even with that much extra room,
we still passed cars from the opposite direction with less than 6 inches
clearance on either side of the car.  We were traveling in the area of 35
MPH give or take a bit and so had a closing speed of around 70 MPH.  Add to
that driving on the wrong side of the road and on the wrong side of the car
and you get some "interesting" motoring about.

Carrie said (after we got through town and onto the open road again) that
she had just closed her eyes and prayed.  I did notice a lot of wreckers on
the road so, I assume that occasionally the lack of road width produced some
business for the body shops.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
72 Midget -- Willy & David's "Team SU" BABE Rally car
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup -- presently swimming from New Zealand to the U.S.

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."