RE: Front Brakes WTF?!?

To: "'CHRIS KOTTING'" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>,
Subject: RE: Front Brakes WTF?!?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:26:13 -0400
Chris,
Be careful not to outsmart yourself.  Check the easy stuff, first,
before you disassemble anything.  Some of us tend to start with the most
complicated, expensive stuff, when diagnosing a problem.  With most
things automotive, it is very frequently something basic & simple/cheap
that is causing the trouble.
If the brakes work well, when cold, it's highly unlikely to be a
gummed-up MC.  If the MC is "gummed up", the seals are going to be shot,
and it'll "loose" pedal, warm or cold.
Of course, I'm not trying to tell you that it can't be time for a
complete brake system overhaul.  When was the last time the fluid was
replaced?  How long have the flexible hoses been on there?  When was the
last time the rear wheel cylinders were checked for leaks?  If you can't
remember, or don't know, then it's time for some major brake system
work.
Have fun!
Bud Osbourne