Re: Don't break down near Soddy Daisy, TN

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Don't break down near Soddy Daisy, TN
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:54:55 -0400
Lester Ewing wrote:

> Lemme see if I got this right...
>
> You are in dire straights on a long rally.

Yup

> It's a holiday weekend..

Yup

> It's late at night...

Not yet

> You have spent several weeks preparing your car (With at least two
> transmission rebuilds IIRC)..

I suck at tranny work, Paul can confirm this.

> Halfway through the rally (More or less) your tranny rebuild craps  out
> to 1st and 4th gear knocking you out of the rally..

It sure did.

> You get in touch with a BUSINESS

The first mistake.

> The business owner gives up his sleep..

He did not.

> Provides you with a needed part, better than what you had..
> PLUS an adaptor that he sells for a profit..

Which I am willing to pay for.

> Allows you use of his shop until you are finished..

At a rate of about $100 per hour

> All of which allows you to finish the rally without having to either
> drive back in only two gears (Not much fun but doable) or leave the
> car, fly home, come back another week witha  suitable tow vehicle,  tow
> the car back to Jersey, then take the 3 trannys that you have to  see if
> you can get one good one..

Obviously the cheaper way to go.

> He wants to charge you (My guess here) $ 400 plus the cost of the
> tranny and you're complaining?!

Wrong guess.

> And you spend all of your spare time berating the quality of cheap
> Chinese tools and lamenting the loss of good ol American quality
> workmanship??!!!

It's still a JAP tranny, clutch, and slave.

> Just wanted to be clear before I make a decision regarding  Rivergate..

I am a business too. If you needed help in the middle of the night and I
was closed but you knocked on my door. I would help in a heartbeat.
If you needed goods that I sold, I would only charge you for the goods.
I would most likely charge you cost of the goods under that circumstance.
I get called out at 4 am to board up burned out homes. Should I charge
the person in dire straights top dollar? Maybe I should from now on.
But under those circumstances, I charge what ever the material costs and
a few bucks labor. Afterall, it's found money, I was sleeping, not
*working*. If I had to drop what I was doing at *work* things would be
different. But knowing me, probably not.
It seems to be the "American" way. Kick em when their down. HARD!

--
Frank