RE: Universal Fuel Pump...

To: "'Matthew Boatman'" <matt4328@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Universal Fuel Pump...
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:56:12 -0400
Matt,
Please don't take this personally, but, I feel a rant coming on, and I
just can't help myself:
Sure, go ahead and replace the correct, original part, which is STILL
AVAILABLE, TODAY, FOR A REASONABLE PRICE, with a universal, chink-built
replacement.  Then, in a few more years, when our vendors no longer
stock the OE type parts for our Spridgets, whine about the lack of good
quality, OE type parts for a restoration.
IF you keep electrical contacts clean and tight, an original SU fuel
pump is about as reliable as any other electric pump, and will last for
DECADES.  But, since so many Brit car owners have yet to grasp this
simple fact, SU fuel pumps, and numerous other good, reliable Lucas
electrical components continue to get a bad rap.
Look, guys: We, in the Brit car hobby/culture, are blessed with the
availability of an abundance of good, OEM, or OE spec/quality
replacement parts that owners of other brands of classics would KILL to
have available.  But, if we replace OE parts with cheap, generic
replacements, we will kill the incentive for our vendors to stock good
quality, OE type spares.  If the vendors won't stock them, the
manufacturers will have no incentive to produce them.  Eventually, like
a cancer, the OE parts will be replaced with nothing but chink junk.
The few remaining OE parts will, therefore, become so pricey that few of
us can afford them, assuming we can still find them.
My feeling is that we all have an obligation to INSIST on the best
quality, OE type spares for our Spridgets, which will encourage the
vendors to stock the best stuff, so that when the next guy needs the
part, it is available to him.
Bud Osbourne