RE: Distributor Choice

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Distributor Choice
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:34:38 -0400
interesting but not unusual.  when i won the D-prepared class in the blue
mountain SCCA autocross series in '80 with my bugeye.    the SCCA rules had
the 1/4 eliptic cars in one class then had other spridgets grouped acording
to engine size but!  i found a flaw in the rule book wich literally said
"all 1275 sprites were grouped in D/P and while frequently protested by the
very hot MGBGT that was my serious competition , the classification stood
as did my end of season points!  ( my bugeye is still in that state of
mechanical set up)  i'm seeing a growing movement in vintage racing to push
"period preperation" in cars. (i think the earth pounding trans am cars and
similar cars were getting just too trick and way too fast for their own
good?  and all this is "trickle down" fallout from that realisation?)
heck!  the SVRA actually put my 1960 saab on the scales at sebring back in
march!  i asked why, the response was they are gathering a data base for
period weights.   funny i thought as my saab is the only of it's model
racing in north america presently.   so if my car looses any weight i guess
i'll have to protest myself?  LOL!
honestly if a spridget has a 1275 and is stated as such , then it should be
classed with other F-prod cars as well as a 1098 being G-prod and 948 cars
being H-prod?  right?

chuck.
back ta lurk mode......

regardless of engine selection are placed in Group 2".  I asked each and
every director in the organization if a 1275 in a Bugeye (like most have)
was legal, answer was yes, I would just be put ina class with the other
1275 Bugeyes and Sprites.  I have a 1275 in my Bugeye, I will continue to
do so next year be it with VSCDA or not.  I claim the engine size correctly
each race and am grouped appropriately. There are many of us. Next year
there is a possibility the combination will be disallowed.  Somehow, 1958
minis can still have 1275s, and 948s can have oversized 998 pistons and
1098 engine components, but whatever.  There is one 948 car that has been
reliably on the track in the 4 years I've been racing (Gary Kropf), and I
am at 1/5 his budget.  So, basically, I have 1275, and I can't afford to go
slower.