Re: calling electrical engineers...

To: "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: calling electrical engineers...
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:44:26 -0700
That's pretty close to what you're using now.  Most resistor type coils are
designed to run on less than the nominal 12 volts of your car system.  When
the resistor is cold, it passes higher voltage, such as the 12 so the coil
has a hot spark, much needed at cranking speeds.  As the resistor heats up,
it passes less voltage, until it might be as low as 8 volts.  The coil
functions fine at this voltage as that's what the design spec is.  Car runs
fine with the coil spark at this level, also.

I'm aware of Ford using this system as early as 1933.  Might be sooner than
that for all I know.  Anyone remember before that time???  LOL!!  It went
from 6 volts to 3 volts on the coil.

So why are you wanting to use a 6 volt coil on 12 volts?  Because you have
one?

Paul A