Re: calling electrical engineers...

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: calling electrical engineers...
From: Toby Atwater <toyota_healey_bmw@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:21:35 -0700
I have been running this little build it yourself "electronic" ignition
unit for a while now on my BMW motorcycle. It protects the points and
triggers the coil(s) with a transistor. I measured with the unit only
0.02-0.03 amps through the points vs 2.5-3 amps without. The condenser
is taken out of the circuit as well, and best of all it can be bypassed
on the side of the road if you suspect it has failed and you can get
home (wire it up correctly so you can do this without tools).

here is the link, no financial interest yada yada.

http://www.apogeekits.com/electronic_ignition.htm

After 6 months, my points still look brand new, it does deliver a bit
better spark at low rpm as well (less point arcing) for a tad smoother
ride. I plan on building a few other of these kits for my point ignition
cars. This kit is a nice introduction to get your feet wet in electronic
ignition while still keeping the tried and true points with a bit less
maintenance.

You can then proceed and install a "hot" 12V coil without reduced points
life. I converted my BMW motorcycle (twin cly) from two 6V coils wired
in series, to two 12V Bosch 40kV output Bosch blue coils in parallel
with the above mentioned kit. You can then push out your point gap for a
nice fat spark. Performance increase with the hot coils was very
NOTICIABLE and the part thottle smoothness is slick! Total cost was
about $65 (2 coils to buy) which is nice for a performance AND
maintenance upgrade.

Good luck, Toby.
69 Sprite (in progress)
71 BMW R75/5