Re: Static timing and electronic ign

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Static timing and electronic ign
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:38:11 -0400
I just drew a picture of a distributor and a rotor.  If you align them
both at TDC, with the window just reaching the photo eye (or the points
just opening) then any amount of advance, from 7 degrees through 35,
will move the rotor end further away from the plug wire outlet thing.
But if you have them aligned when the crank is at 7 degrees BTDC, the
distance between the rotor tip and wire outlet won't be as far as when
aligned at TDC.  The shorter path is then achieved by doing the initial
alignment at 7 degrees BTDC rather than at TDC.  And even a more direct
path at operating speeds, where it matters more, by doing the alignment
at either a greater BTDC setting.

If I'm missing something here, let me know.  I have a Crane unit sitting
on the shelf awaiting installation.