Cluster memories

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cluster memories
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:02:17 -0700
One thing I won't forget was the engine installation.  Since the gasket set
available to us was for a Mini, there was no backplate gasket and the engine
work was undone for the lack of it.  Frst thing Saturday morning, I grabbed a
Safeway bag and started to cut one from it, when another lister showed up with
a roll of gen-u-ine store-bought gasket material.  Ron and I then fashioned a
new gasket and got on with the job of putting the motor together.  Just after
we finished bolting it together, I believe it was Mike that arrived fresh from
APT with a gasket and TO bearing donated by David Anton to the effort.  Alas,
too late!  Buster now has a perfect spare.

Then the debate began to percolate as to the best way to put in the motor,
and, I swear, Frank just shrugged and grabbed the motor, told me to hold the
tailshaft, and then just lifted it into the car.  Wouldn't believe it if I
hadn't seen it close up.  Someone wrestled a floorjack into position behind
the steering rack, and the motor was shoved past the rack onto the jack.  From
there it was gravy all the way.

Glen