RE: Nitrogen

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Nitrogen
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:28:22 -0700
Nitrogrn has an atomic weight of 14, Oxygen 16.  Since both form molecules
of two atoms, the molecular weight of Nitrogen is less than that of Oxygen.
NITROGEN IS LIGHTER THAN OXYGEN. So the story is totally false, based on a
false premis.  Because molecules diffuse through a membrane at a rate that
is dependant on the molecular weight, the nitrogen will diffuse out of your
tires before the oxygen does!  That is why helium (molecular wt 4) filled
baloons loose their heium much faster than baloons filled with a similar
volume of air.

The phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" comes to mind.

Now there may be an advantage to using Nitrogen in your tires, like it is
relatively inert and will not attack the rubber as much as will oxygen.
This could lead to longer tire life.  I doubt that many of us would realize
the difference, not if we drive our cars anyway 'cuz the tread will wear out
before the atmospheric oxygen will destroy the casing.

If you insist on filling your tires with nitrogen you can obtain a cylinder
of Nitrogen at your local welding supplier for only a few bucks more than
some tire shops seem to be charging to fill four tires with nitrogen.  You
should be able to maintain a fleet of vehicles for some time on a full
bottle of Nitrogen!

Thae aviation industry may be trying to reduce the chance of fire and
getting rid of the atmospheric oxygen in the tires may be significant,
especially at altitude where there is very little atmosphere to contain
oxygen.

Hal