Re: Nitrogen

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrogen
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:12:35 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>

Now there may be an advantage to using Nitrogen in your tires, like it is
relatively inert and will not attack the rubber as much as will oxygen.
This could lead to longer tire life.  I doubt that many of us would realize
the difference, not if we drive our cars anyway 'cuz the tread will wear out
before the atmospheric oxygen will destroy the casing.

Hal

My understanding of the use of Nitrogen in race car tires is that it won't
change volume under changes in heat as much as pure air.  Therefore, the
contact patch won't change as much as the tire heats up.  Makes sense if
it's true.  On the other hand it could be pure BS.  Ron Soave, anything
there?

LD