post-paint buffing

To: lindalnhvt@nhvt.net
Subject: post-paint buffing
From: john.dagostino@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:47:29 +0000
Hi.
Frank pretty much summed it up on buffing. I'm no expert, but I would only add
that when buffing, a slow buffing speed is better. I used to think any old
buffer was ok, then I splurged and bought a Makita, wow big difference, smooth,
quiet and infinite speed control, you can actually watch the scratches
disappear!
There are a ton of compounds, pads and methods, some require different pads
using the same compound, some use different compounds and pads, it can be a
chore choosing what to use. I stick with 3M Perfect-It III, wool pads for
buffing, foam for swirl removing and polishing. Imperial hand glaze for final
polish by hand.
The 3M web site has some good demo videos if you are interested.
Buffing is a pain in the keyster, but experiment a bit, you'll have it in no
time.

Good luck,