wire wheel conversion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: wire wheel conversion
From: BCAH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:30:49 EST
Hello all,---I'm going for more power(1275) in my BI this winter and was
wondering about the rear axles. It is my understanding that there were only a
very few true wire wheel 1/4 elliptic car from the factory.  A fellow I
contacted in England said the ones he saw early on were just adaptors bolted on
the pressed wheel shaft.As I understand it, most conversions are just  guys
sliding wire wheels axles into solid wheel axles. The problem with this is
that
theses wire wheel shafts are a bit shorter so they do not fully engage the
differential. My question is just how much shorter? How thick is the gear   in
the differential where the shaft has to go through, and how much does the
shaft fall short? It was suggested that the shaft be pressed apart from the
splined   knock-off hub making the total length longer and that there was
still
plenty of "meat'  in the splined knock-off hub. One book I read said  that
theses were originally put together with a 20 ton press! Up rated shafts  are
available for the solid wheel axles.  Has anyone had any experience  with a
strong
1275 and these shorter axles? Thanks in advance,-----Bob  C