Re: wire wheel conversion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheel conversion
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:37:29 -0600
True, true.  But, it isn't a Swiss watch.  At the factory they had a jig and
a guy with a welder.  Clamp everything in place, weld, and voila.  If you
are building a top fuel dragster or a Bonneville Salt car you need ultimate
precision.  But, plus or minus 1/16" for a Spridget wouldn't be all that
bad.

Straightening is good.  But, unless you reinforce it alot, it will distort
again when you put the torque to the pavement, or when you hit a pot hole.

If I had a Bugeye and wanted wire wheels (or alloy knockoffs), I wouldn't
hesitate to modify a WW rear end.  I would probably clamp everything to my
metal table top (relatively flat) and tack things in place.  To keep the
distortion low, I would weld in increments so as not to heat up the whole
weld area at once.

It sounds like you have done this before so I will defer to your wisdom.
How did your's end up?