Leakdown test and compression readings

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Leakdown test and compression readings
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:19:05 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks,

I'm still pondering the rust problems with the 1275 restoration.
Meanwhile, this morning I played around with a Cylinder Leakdown Tester - on
sale from Harbour Fright for $40.

(This consists of a valve and pressure gauge that is used with you existing air
compressor.  You pump air into one cyinder with a plug hole adapter and adjust
the pressure so that the  % leakdown is 0%.  Then you hook it up to the other
cylinders and see what they show for leak down.  If one cylinder is bad (for
whatever reason) it can be identified.  Someone jump in if I have this wrong.)

Anyways, I tried it out and basically I can adjust the pressure on one cylinder
and then all the others come out between 0 and 4% leakdown, all with an
indicated pressure of 70 psi.  I'm thinking the cylinders are pretty much in
the same mechanical condition and that is all I can determine from this test.

OK, so I get out the compression tester (Cal-Van) and here are the results:
157, 154, 155, 150.  Woo-hoo!
With a tablespoon (15 ml) of oil, the readings shoot up to: 205, 190, 205, 200.
 Boo-hoo!!

Not sure if it matters but a week ago I had put in a tablespoon in each
cylinder and done the same a couple of days ago - prior to seeing if the engine
would even turn over.  Surely the oil would have drained down past the rings
before the test I done this morning?

I should also mention the engine is stone cold for all these readings.  The
engine has not been started in over 4 years.  I think I need to at least
dismantle the carbs and give them a good clean before I fire it up for real.

Any thoughts?  I'm puzzled - could an engine have 150 psi on all cylinders and
still have bad rings?

Regards,  Adrian