Re: Leakdown test and compression readings

To: "Adrian Jones" <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Leakdown test and compression readings
From: "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:57:36 -0500
Adrian:   A cold leak down or compression test won't be accurate.  Engines
are made to be run at temperature.....as they heat up they tighten up.  Also
the leak down test should be done air going into the cylinder and the piston
just coming to TDC on a compression stroke.  That way the rings will be in
the position they are in when the sparks fly.

Another tip for leak down tests:  with the air from the compressor going
into the cylinder, listen at the carbs, at the tail pipe, and at the
crankcase ventilation port.  Air noise will tell you if the leak is intake
valve, exhaust valve, rings respectively.

I don't understand the instructions for the leak down test that you provide.
My tester has two gauges and a "calibrated orifice" (ahem).  You pump 80lbs
of air in and hope that you get 60 or better on the low side (at least on an
aircraft engine!!)

It would seem that since all your readings are roughly the same, and
considering the cold engine that you are in pretty good shape.  I'm sure
I'll be corrected though.....

Geoff Branch