SU Carb problem

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carb problem
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:04:08 -0500
Frank,
Here's a theory. . .

Since the problem is common to all the carbs you tried, I suspect
that the problem isn't directly with the carbs but that another
problem is affecting the carbs. I suspect that there is some
vibration at the engine speeds you mention that are causing carb
parts to rattle around such that gas spews out. Maybe the engine
mount rubbers are too hard/soft which allows or causes a vibration to
reach the carbs.

Try putting your hand on the engine and see if you can feel a change
in vibs at the speed the problem begins. Not very scientific but a
quick test. It won't pinpoint the vib source/cause. Could be in the
engine, transmission mount, exhaust, etc.

If you can detect a funny vib with, your hand, then I guess you take
your best guess as to the cause and start swapping -
motor/transmission mounts, etc. Or, try loosening and re-tightening
stuff like the mounts.

If this is the problem it could follow you to the Weber.

That's my theory. Anyone else think this could be the problem??? What
say you mechanical engineers and "rocket scientists"?

Tim Collins
1966 AH Sprite