SUs fixed

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUs fixed
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:35:57 -0500
After numerous attempts, and one trashed set of carbs, I think I solved
the problem.
I got the leak down to a minor weep but out of the gasket from the
bowl/lid. I used a new gasket, an old gasket, but 2 gaskets fixed it.
Now I have shimmed down the seat, replaced the seat several times,
replaced the float lid, lid and bowl, whole carb with different lid and
bowl. There was no voltage spike, this engine runs quite smooth, as
smooth as most or better. There was no noticable vibration at higher
rpms. New seats, old seats, NOS seat, Gross jet, nothing seemed to fix
the leak. I even bent one of the metal tab floats to the max, it still
leaked. Regulator is giving a shy 2 lbs to the carbs.
It will live with a double gasket for ever since this fixed it.
Now why do all my 1275s leak oil out of the carb side of the head?
I did move this leak on my 59 from the head to the t/cover with the new
and improved head gasket.
This engine has the original style head gasket and I know if I change
the gasket, I'll move the leak. I have a stock PCV system from a 67
Sprite on the engine.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ