Re: Exhaust Question

To: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Question
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:54:26 GMT
Hi, Bob.....

first of all, be sure there are no leaks anywhere in the system, of course.

There is a certain low pressure area behind
the car which will "return" air flow. You've
probably noticed this when you drive top down in a shower....the inside of the
windshield gets wet! You can actually
see "return flow" in terms of water droplets
coming off the trunk towards the cockpit.

I had this problem with my BE using an MGB ANSA rear section with double
outlets.

We shortened the exhaust pipe by a couple
of inches as we fettled with different exhaust hangers, etc. to reduce chrome
pipe length beyond the rear body to no more than 2" and brought the end chrome
pipes vertically closer to the body.

Solved the problem though I occasionally
have to use gasoline to remove exhaust
system staining (minor annoyance) from the
left rear bumperette however.....

no more "reverse flow" of exhaust gases into the cockpit. Life is good! :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)