RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT

To: "'Brad Fornal'" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>, "'Glen Byrns'"
Subject: RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:54:57 -0500
Brad,
I wish you would have posted this question earlier today.  I just came
back from the VW dealer, after dropping off the new Passat loaner/rental
and picking up my trusty '98 Golf (routine service at 213,000 miles).  I
could have asked my friend, the shop foreman, what he thinks of the new
2.5 engine.
However, when I was in there last week, for service on my wife's Passat,
I asked what the cost of timing belt replacement was for that engine
(the new 2.5 five cylinder).  They're so new that none have required
that maintenance operation, yet.  I've got a very good relationship with
my dealer service department (I have neither time nor inclination to
work on new/modern cars), so I hear about things that are chronic
problems.  Now, I haven't really asked much about the new Jettas, but, I
can't recall hearing anything negative.  Usually, the first year of
production for any VW model is the one where the problems crop up.  VW
is pretty good about correcting problem areas they've missed in
pre-production testing.
With our '99 Passat and '98 Golf, we've had no major problems, and
damned few minor ones, too.  The only complaint I've had with the cars
is that goofy "adaptive" automatic transmission (4 spd on Golf, 5 spd.
On Passat), which seems to insure that the transmission is ALWAYS in the
wrong gear for doing what you need to do.  I've learned to live with the
Golf automatic's idiosyncrasies.  With the Passat, I frequently use the
Tiptronic function.  I'm pleased to report that VW has gotten it RIGHT
with the new Passat.  That sucker was always in the right gear and
responded IMMEDIATELY.  Gobs of power, too, from that little 2 liter
turbo four.  I'm very impressed with it.  The 1.8 liter turbo, in our
'99 Passat, has plenty of power, but that goofy transmission kills the
responsiveness unless you really put you foot into it.
So, if you have a chance of a good deal on an '06 Jetta, I suspect it'll
be a pretty nice car.  The only complaint I have with the new VWs (aside
from expensive service parts) is the timing belt issue.  If it breaks,
you've basically ruined the engine.  Replacing it is a major pain in the
ass/expense.  I spent around $800 having our Passat's timing belt
replaced, last fall.  About half the front of the car has to be removed
to get to it, so, we also replaced idlers, "serpentine belt" and a
couple of other things (unfortunately, NOT the water pump....."Passat
water pumps never seem to go bad": Ours was the first!!!).
Overall, however, I'm VERY happy with our now not so new VWs (hey, they
were brand new when I bought them) and wouldn't hesitate to buy
another.....once I get my son through college.
Bud Osbourne