RE: Motor Oil Question [LBC content]

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Motor Oil Question [LBC content]
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:32:06 -0700
Spridgeteers,

Just wondering. I am using Mobil 1 (15W-50) in my LBC. I used Castrol GTX
20W-50 for the first 3000 miles or so after engine rebuild.

My question is this. I wondered if I should try a non-API certified oil,
especially as the formulation of Mobil 1 changed, and it is apparently not
the oil it used to be. I was thinking of going back to 20-50, even though
15-50 seems to work just as well here in So Cal.

I read that a non-API oil is usually so because it contains too much of the
additive ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates) to be certified. I understand
the API limits the amount of ZDDP additive allowed in the oil because it
shortens the life of the catalytic converter. Now, most if not all of our
LBCs don't have catalytic converters, and the added Zinc in non-API oils is
supposed to reduce wear on the engine. So, I wonder if any lister is
presently using a non-API oil, synthetic or not, and what they think?

Any oil expert on this list?

JLC