Recaps

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Recaps
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:31:19 -0700
                Lester wrote:  "Recaps.. damn forgot about those!! ;-)"

Never used them on the Sprite, but how many people remember (or ever
used) "reclaimed" oil.  This was oil that had been drained by service
stations*, and then sold to refiners who then re-refined, or recycled
it, and sold it as reclaimed oil at a fraction of the cost of a new
can.  As a poor sailor, I used it whenever I could not afford the
preferred Castrol 30 or Kendall.

Buster Evans

* There are, of course, no more service stations.  For those of you too
young to have known them, that was where you could pull in, tell the
attendant in the snappy uniform and cap how much gas you wanted, either
"fill 'er up (or two dollars) with ethyl".  Ethyl.  That was an additive
to engines that reduced the ping and valve damage.  For that few bucks,
the attendant would put in the gas, check your oil, water, battery
water, and fan belts before he cleaned your windshield, mirrors, and
back window spotlessly clean.  And, you could use his phone for free, or
the pay phone with all of the telephone numbers scribbled on the grubby
wall.  When yoyu went to the restroom, you always cringed, thankful you
didn't have to use the one your girlfriend or wife used.  And before
leaving, you could usually put a quarter in the vending machines to get
a pack of three rubbers, hopeful you would get lucky.  Then, if you
needed your flat tire fixed, he would do it for about half a buck, and
that included the patch on your inner tube. If it was too bad, he could
sell you a good used tire.  If he didn't have any, he could sell you a
new one, because he probably had at least one of every size on the
market.  If not, he would run over to another service station on one of
the other three corners of the intersection to do a trade.  He would do
it, because he was in business for himself, and he owned the station.
It wasn't one of these big company-owned.

                    Those were the days, my friend!
                    We thought they'd never end.
                    We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
                    We'd live the life we'd choose.
                    We'd fight and never lose.
                    For we were young and sure to have our way!

                    Di di di di...