RE: More Ribcase Q'

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: RE: More Ribcase Q'
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:36:12 -0500
I have race motors with both lightened steel and aluminum flywheels. Yes,
you can "feel" a difference when you rev it. Is it faster...not sure.

Without the mass of the steel flywheel, the engine won't feel as smooth.
That big chunk of steel does serve a purpose.

I do know that I go through a lot more clutches with the aluminum flywheels.
You end up slipping the clutch a lot more to get underway.

Would I use an aluminum flywheel on a street car? No way.