Re: More Ribcase Q'

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>, "Spridgets"
Subject: Re: More Ribcase Q'
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:57:04 -0500
>> Just remember, a lightened flywheel will NOT affect how quickly your car
>>  >> accelerates.

> I have to differ on that statement David.
> I have an aluminum flywheel, it's much lighter.
> The engine revs up a whole lot faster with less mass on the crank, this
> makes the car go faster, quicker thus improving acceleration.
> Short of the Weber, it was the best bang for the buck in seat of the pants
> performance improvment.

I knew someone would argue... can always count on the List ;-)
Look at it logically, Frank. As soon as you let out the clutch, the crank
not only has that flywheel attached to it, it also has the clutch disk, the
pressure plate, the transmission input shaft, the output shaft, a variable
number of pieces in between (what gear you in anyway?), the driveshaft,
pinion gear, ring gear, two axles, a pair of brake drums, rims and tires,
all locked together as rotating mass. The weight difference between the
stock flywheel and the aluminium flywheel just isn't a very big percentage
of that mass. Sure it makes a difference, but enough to actually notice?
David Lieb