Re: More Ribcase Q'

To: "Herby" <herby@herbytoys.com>, "Spridgets"
Subject: Re: More Ribcase Q'
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 06:52:04 -0500
> Another question. Is it cost effective to lighten the flywheel on a
> basically stock street driven 1275 Spridget?

Herby,
Just remember, a lightened flywheel will NOT affect how quickly your car
accelerates. The difference in the total amount of mass being moved is quite
slight. It will affect how nicely it revs up and down in neutral, but that
is only good for bench-racing ;-) The one actual benefit that you get is
that it allows the engine to "match revs" more easily when shifting, thus
taking some strain off the synchros. For that, it is worth doing. Don't try
to get too radical, however. I am sure someone on the list has a diagram
showing how much to take off of what part of the flywheel; print it out and
take it to your machinist.
David Lieb