Re: Blighty

To: <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Blighty
From: "Michael Conn" <mconn2@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:59:47 -0400
Buster,

You must know England well, if you've been going as often as 1 - 4 times a
year!

Where are you located?

I think I've already said in a previous e-mail that I'm looking to respray my
AN5.   I hope to be able to do it in the original leaf green.   I'd love to be
able to do a complete restoration, but can't afford it.   The main areas I'm
focusing on is the respray, putting the original steering wheel back on
together with an after market muffler.   At the present time it's got a
horrible wood steering wheel and a "sporting" type muffler.   As to the
steering wheel I need a horn push, surround, horn brush and slip ring.   Do
you thing your friend, Frank, would have for an AN5 from a past restore?

I was born in Chorley Manchester of an English mother and a US father (I have
duel nationality).   Due to circumstances I was moved to Gravesend Kent at the
age of 3, then to Cambridge, then to London.   I was an attorney in these last
3 places.   Since coming to the US I work in a factory as a machine operator.

I know East Anglia well.   I stayed in Bury St. Edmunds often, and visited and
stayed in various parts for, amongst other things,  shooting outings.
Actually, apart from being here in the US, if I had to live anywhere else,
Bury St. Edmunds would be the place.   (I assume you have drunk Abbott Ale!)

On a visit to the US I brought a friend with me who'd never been outside
England before.   In fact, he'd not traveled much in the British Isles either.
I remember he was over awed by just about every thing.   (I had never heard
him swear before, but he started very soon after landing in New York.)   He
was/is an expert on the American Civil War, and I took him to Gettysburg which
he knew better than the guide that he got to take us around.   Needless to say
the guide was impressed, to say the least.

There are 2 places I would say you should add to your list: the City of
Cambridge and Simpson's in The Strand, London.   Being one of the two major
University towns in England Cambridge has some wonderful walks and colleges
(some of them from the 14th Century).   It also has some really good pubs
(e.g. "The Eagle").   Simpson's is a favorite restaurant of mine, and is a
real view of dining in old England.   (It's not too expensive. You'll need to
call for a reservation and be a little bit dressy: wear a tie, and stuff like
that.)   Really well worth a visit.

Michael