Re: Toronto area information sought

To: Spridgets Group <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Toronto area information sought
From: "Geoffrey P. Muttart" <gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:26:53 -0400
Bud, I can't help with the Toronto info you seek, but I want to remind Nory
that there's a lot more to Canada than Toronto and area, and even Ontario.
Indeed, poll Canadians and you'll find that they're not particularly fond of
Canada's largest city and the hurry-up-and-go atmosphere that surrounds it.
My wife is from Toronto and she has had to learn to relax here in Nova
Scotia!

I have driven a fair bit in the New England States and Eastern Canada, and I
agree that parts of the Canadian highway through Quebec (outside Montreal)
and Ontario (mostly south of Toronto) handle lots of traffic at 120-140
km/h, but it's generally not the stop and go Interstate traffic that you see
outside major US cities, where one moment things are moving nicely at 100
km/h+ and the next you're at a dead stop.  Having said this, when I drove to
Mississippi from Nova Scotia a number of years ago, my fastest speeds were
in the States (other than NY State - where there must be one trooper for
every 10 cars).

There are lots of secondary roads in Ontario that you can take that will
avoid the high speed highways.  Especially through the lovely Niagara wine
region of Ontario.  Get away from the urban centres (and the kitsch of
Niagara Falls), and you'll find lots of great driving roads where a Spridget
will feel welcome. (Obligatory Spridget content ;)  Better yet, visit areas
of Canada other than Ontario, and you'll find that we don't even have
highways where you can sustain such speeds!

Geoff Muttart
gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca
Nova Scotia, Canada
AH 'Bugeye' Sprite AN5