Re: City Ordinances

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: City Ordinances
From: "Bruce Lowry" <egnorant@dctexas.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:37:51 -0500
>I was reading my city ordinances last night (looking for building permit
>stuff) and stumbled across the ordinances for "junk vehicles." It seems
>that I am violating the law because my Sprite is inoperable under the
>ordinance for; "Storage of abandoned, inoperable, dismantled or partially
>dismantled motor vehicles or parts thereof." The ordinance even speaks to
>an inoperable car IN a storage structure (garage or shed). The only thing
>you have to do to have an inoperable car is remove the battery or a tire.
>The only "out" seems to be a "hardship" provision whereby I can pay a
>dollar to get a 14 day permit.
>
> I'll bet you guys in "High Rent" neighborhoods (you know who you are!!)
> probably have worse provisions and restrictions.
>
> This strikes me as a seldom enforced ordinance, but on the books when
> needed for the guy who tries to run a junk yard from his home. Anyone ever
> run into problems with your City Fathers during the restoration of a hobby
> vehicle?
>
> Tim Collins
> 1966 AH Sprite

I recently got an education in this area.
These are enforced in many ways. One is the "Batch" enforcement where the
police are assigned an area to go and "red tag" flagrant violators. This is
notice to fix it or be fined or even have the car towed.

Another is the complaint or "Pest Control" method. Ignore it till someone
complains.

As for unconstitutional..maybe! I found a Texas provision that allows
challenges to the law or ordinance for 3 years after it is passed. After he
3 years, it IS law and the validity of the law itself cannot be challenged!
Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

How many of you have ever attended a city council meeting or know the laws
and ordinances of your city.

I just finished a battle about "junk cars". The one that was first proposed
and nearly passed could have been interpreted as banning all motor vehicles
from inside the city limits.
You could have been arrested for having a spare tire in your car or keys in
your pocket.
Once I showed them that this ordinace effectively made air a banned
substance they voted it down.

Our little town (2100 people) has been deluged by new building permits.
1842 new homes in less than 3 years. A lot of these are the houses that are
just far enough apart to meet codes and full of folks who want to escape
restrictins of other cities. But they will bring a lot of the restrictictive
frame of mind with them. I expect a few more battles down the road.

Bruce