Re: Help - Weird Rear Brake Problem

To: Bud Pazur <bpazur@excel.net>
Subject: Re: Help - Weird Rear Brake Problem
From: Larry Macy <lmacy@phillymgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:30:18 -0400
OK, THis is my theory, and I may be wrong. But I think it makes sense.

As the cars age we usually get remanufactured/relined shoes. Since
there are exactly 2 wear points on the shoes, one at the piston, and
one at the adjuster wedge, I expect that over time the piece of metal
on those ends will wear. Since that bit of metal would not normally be
replaced during the relining process, the shoes get smaller as they
age. So the solution is, as was suggested,  is weld a bit of a metal
to the ends of the shoes were the wear points are.

I had new drums, new pistons, new wedges, new screws and new/relined
shoes. I could not get the adjustment right. Reg tacked a bit of metal
to the ends of the shoes, and Frank help adjust them yesterday. I have
an adjustment that works, and brakes that work.

Larry

On Apr 22, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Bud Pazur wrote:

> WST and I replaced the rear disc brakes on SilverStreak last year
> with later
> 948 drums. It sat all winter, and now I find that I can't adjust
> them. It
> appears that the adjuster wedges ( Moss part #181-905) are not long
> enough to
> engage the adjuster tappet (Moss #181-895). My sincere apologies ;-)
> for
> referencing Mo$$ (we got all the parts from PPP), but I just want
> people to
> know what the parts I am talking about are. When the adjuster tappet
> is
> screwed all the way in, it doesn't begin to move the wedges, and
> hence, the
> shoes, out. Has anyone encountered this problem? I want to autocross
> at RA
> MOTRAH 007 in May, but this throws a monkey wrench into that plan.
>
> TIA
>
> Bud
>
> Whitey - 1275 Street Bugeye
> SilverStreak - 1275 Race Sprite
> "The Buddha... resides as comfortably in the gears of
> a...transmission as he
> does in the petals of a flower"
>
> - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

believed to be clean.