RE: Brakes acting funny...

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>, "Spridget List"
Subject: RE: Brakes acting funny...
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:20:03 -0400
a thought on this.   ocasionally rear wheel cylinder pistons get literally
stuck.  and at amusing times without any forewarning the break free and
will yeild an odd "pop" kind of sound.  my '60 saab race car uses an
alarming number of spridget brake hydraulics!   i have periodic rear wheel
cylinder piston sticking , from the car sitting for periods of time between
events.  the car does not exhibit any odd brake pull to either right or
left!  but i can hear the "pop" when it happens!  no leaks!  on both
spridgets and old saabs the rear brakes are not very effective.  not like
the front ones are!  the best function the work for is the parking brake.
obviously brakes are very importaint and i strongly sugest you pull all 4
wheels just to examine all of the hydraulics first hand to emsure you are
not having a serious problem wich could result in the car and you being
hurt!
be safe  , be FAST! ;)
chuck
(ya did see i used some capitol letters....right?   ;)  )
one more thought!  a long time ago , in some car owner manuals there was a
recomended flush , bleed procedure for the hydraulic systems!  i've
mentioned this in the past.   while you have the car jacked up and on
safety stands , attempt to change out the fluid!   you'll be amazed at the
color it has aquired and the dirt it has conveyed into the container you
are bleeding that old fluid into!   c.  with our race morgan it gets bled
out after evry event!  while in my saab , bugeye and sports racer  , i use
silicone fluid and do not bleed or flush the systems.