Squeal like a Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Squeal like a Midget
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:13:38 -0500
1974 Midget

So the car has been running great this season.
It has been my daily driver for a month or so now.

As of Monday, whenever I start the car the RED LIGHT / alternator light
stays on until I rev the engine one good time.
-Coincidentally, Now while driving (or at idle) I take the RPMS up over 2700
RPM
I hear the alt. belt squeal. (or something that sounds just like that)
It stops as soon as I let off and upshift.

-This does not happen as much when the car is warm and been running for some
time.

I got the feeling the obvious answer is the tightness of the belt BUT I need
the wisdom of the list .
Just by touch/pull, the belt feels taut.

Any ideas. Thanks friends.
Miles with a Midget
1974