Re: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.
From: James F Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:12:04 -0400
Linda:

I thought I might weigh in.  I have a Lincoln SP100, a 110v machine,
allegedly 100a output.  It has a continuously variable voltage control,
not found on most inexpensive machines.  This has been very helpful for
sheetmetal work, and the unit itself is sturdy enough to do heavier work
with multiple passes and careful beveling, etc.  The current version is
an SP135, I think.

I used a Miller 140 (Millermatic???) in a class I took last year and
found it to be very smooth and easy to use.  It also had a potentiometer
control for voltage.

These machines are available from on line sources for $600 to $700 or
so.  Check powertoolstore.com for a dazzling array.  They almost always
have free shipping on Lincoln equipment.  I don't understand why just those.

Inexpensive machines (I once had a HF/Italian import MIG) often keep the
electrode live, letting the trigger control only gas feed and wire
feed.  A real PITA when setting up.  Make sure you check for this and
know what you're getting if you decide to go this way.

Another source worth looking at is HTP welding.  (USAWELD.COM) Not a
national brand, but a unique approach toward customer service and
repair.  You can call and talk to its President Jeff Noland.  I find
them to be well made machines.  I bought a TIG from him.

Jim