RE: Ammeter or voltmeter?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ammeter or voltmeter?
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:44:30 -0700
OK.... I have an alternator fitted to my LBC.  Ended up with a new Lucas
#12094, 70Amps, 14 volts. It works quite well, and now I can leave my halogen
lights on during the day - helpful for the local SUV/Jacked up trucks who
never seem to notice me on the road! Anything to make a LBC more visible is
good.

Just FYI... as my LBC does not have a ignition light, the engine would run on
even after shutting off the ignition - seems one needs the light to have a
resistance in the alternator excitation circuit - so the electrical shop I
went to for the alternator fitted a diode to stop this happening.

Now for my question. I still have the original 30-30 ammeter fitted. Works
well enough...but... would you fit a 60-60 ammeter  or a 10-15 voltmeter? they
are both available from the gauge guys for $56 each (thanks Derf).  Your
thoughts on that?

JLC in San diego

PM