RE: Engine Break-in Advice

To: "'Doug Altman'" <doug_altman@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Break-in Advice
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:58:17 -0500
Doug,

Did you assemble it?

If you used a good cam lube for the cam & lifters, and an assembly lube like
Lubriplate or similar for bearings and oil pump, and engine oil for the
piston and rings, you should be fine. Put a battery charger on it, take the
plugs out, coil wire off, make sure your valves are all adjusted, and spin
it over for 30 seconds at a time. (Don't over heat your starter.) These
things are notorious for taking time to build up oil pressure after a
rebuild. On my 948 race motors, I make sure the filter is full, the oil
cooler and cooler lines are full too. After cranking it over for a few
minutes you may or may not see pressure. Again, if you used the right
assembly lubes, put the plugs in, ignition on, coil wire back on and start
that bastard. Oil pressure should come up within a second or two. If it
doesn't, try the whole procedure over. If it doesn't come up a second time,
you've got a problem that will require yankin' the motor. But, chances are,
if you have a decent machinist, a good oil pump, and a good builder, you'll
be fine. (I did have a new pump that would not build pressure once on a
street 1275... major PIA).

I'm running 15/40 diesel Rotella for break in, and then switch to Redline
synthetic. Use a clean pan when you drain your break in oil and inspect for
shiny shit. If you have new cam & lifters, running at 2000 rpm for 20
minutes is good advice... provided you don't discover any copious amount of
leakage anywhere. Then, while its warm, retorque the head and readjust your
valves.

WST