Re: [Spridgets] Back to the dead horse

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Back to the dead horse
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:48:35 -0400
David,
Actually, there is a pressure limit switch on your compressor, which
will limit tank pressure to around 150#.  Your piping should be able to
withstand significantly more pressure than that.  Since you'll only need
ONE regulator, you could do what I've done: I made up a stand, out of 1"
sq. tubing, and ran a pipe nipple through the top section (a 4" piece of
sq. tubing).  On the inlet side, I mounted a water trap.  On the outlet
side, I mounted a regulator.  The thing stands about a foot tall, and
the four legs span about 18".  I made up a similar stand, to which I
mounted a lubricator.  The lubricator has a 4' length of hose, on the
outlet side, to which I've attached a quick-connector (the
regulator/water trap unit is also equipped w/quick connectors), which
attaches to whichever air tool I happen to be using.  By lining it up
this way, the only thing that gets lubricated is the tool (and a short
section of air hose), instead of the entire air piping system, including
regulators (which don't need it).
When I need to work outside of my workshop/garage, it's very easy to
take the regulator/water separator, and lubricator with me.  With the
regulator just a few feet from the tool, pressure drop is minimal, and
never varies (for the tool) due to changing (adding/removing) sections
of air hose to reach the work.
Since (well, as recently as 10 years ago) I also apply paint using air
from that compressor, I don't have to worry about oil-contamination,
since I only use the lubricator as the last link to the air tools, and I
can leave it out of the line for painting.
Bud Osbourne