Re: [Spridgets] Big online / live auction

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Big online / live auction
From: "Rick Bastedo" <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:11:43 -0800
Reminds me of driving the AL-Can from Seattle through Fairbanks then back to
Anchorage in 1984 in a Primrose 1969 MGB-GT.
Then again in 1986 in a red 1969 MGC-GT from Anchorage back to Seattle.

Nobody shooting at me, but plenty of bears and Alaska size mosquitoes!

Over a thousands miles of gravel road, part way on the trip south a rock
flew up and cracked the clutch slave.
No clutch from somewhere north of Whitehorse Yukon on down. I just timed the
gears.
When I had to start it up from cold I'd just put it in 1st or 2nd & turn the
key & go.

I hit Vancouver BC on the day that Charles & Di visited. Me with no clutch,
Vancouver busier than ever.
That was memorable.

     ______________________________

--- Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Congratulations, David.  That reminds me of my 925
> mile get-acquainted ride
> home from Baltimore with my A60 Pickup

Same here with my Bugeye. Pre-cell days, no spares
except points, Louisville KY to Melbourne FL. I got
shot at in Macon GA (they hit a rear tire; a Bugeye
can go several miles on a at tire and you can dig out
the spare and change a flat in about 40 seconds in a
bad neighborhood when pushed), other than that it was
a great trip.

Ron

Yikes.  My trip was not nearly as exciting (?) as yours.  I only had to deal
with an oil leak from a loose banjo fitting on the oil filter head.

In fact everybody I had contact with was all smiles... except the two little
bastards that ripped off my gas cap while I was in a restaurant.  Maybe that
is the advantage of taking a (non-redneck) northern route?

Everybody should do a solo trip like that at least once -- and not in a
modern car that has little chance of breaking down in the next 50,000 miles.

LAD

(Flame suit on and zipped tightly for all you southern boys.)