Re: [Spridgets] Car Sales

To: Lee&John Howard <leejohn7@gmail.com>, Ed Woods <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Car Sales
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:47:24 -0600
I probably didn't use a good choice of words, Larry. I spent most of
yesterday dealing with the mistakes of someone who should have known better
and I'm still a bit aggravated at ignorance.

Can we agree that the dumbing down of our population is worrisome? I taught
College Engineering Physics for a few semesters about 15 years ago. I was
stunned at the level to which college physics and mathematics had sunk since
I was in college lo those many years ago! My friends in academia tell me it
is much worse nowadays. Calculus is rapidly becoming a senior level course
at some schools! Many of my generation took it as a senior too.  A senior in
High School!

The parallels to Gibbons' "Decline and Fall..."  are downright scary.   I
have recently started seeing black and gold bumper stickers  that say"Yo Soy
El Army" on them. It makes me think of what happened to the Roman Empire
when they turned over protecting the empire to non-romans. I certainly don't
claim to be the smartest guy on earth, but when I see things like car buyers
who don't even know what's under the hood or the way people got sucked into
AR mortgages and homes they can't afford the payments on, I'm clearly a fair
ways from being the least intelligent!

Cheers!!
Jim

--