[Spridgets] Mounting those bullet style mirrors?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Mounting those bullet style mirrors?
From: "Mark A. O'Neil" <mark.a.oneil@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:15:16 -0400
Hi,

So last Christmas my wife presented me a pair of the Bullet Mirrors
sold, I believe, by Moss.

The problem is mounting them on my '79 Midget - the only place where
it appears they can be mounted and be visible is on the front fenders
forward of the doors...totally breaking the profile of the car and
possibly not entirely legal.

I have played around with the design of a mirror ledge, currently
carved out of foam, similar to the stock rectangular mirror mounting
ledge matching the stock(?) bolt pattern - and it seems to be the
optimal solution. It elevates the mirror up and away from the door so
that it is functional. Ideal placement seems to be to place the mirror
forward by about 1-2 inches - there is a sweet spot where the mirror
is functionally forward to not get hit with one's arm and also not be
in conflict with opening the vent window.

Anyway, before I go off and see about having such a thing milled is
there an off the shelf solution that I have missed?

Nice mirrors - sad they do not mount on the door.

-m