Re: [Spridgets] Somebody calm my mind....

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Somebody calm my mind....
From: Peter C <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:04:18 -0500
At 06:43 AM 9/5/2008, David Lieb wrote:
> > If you leave it, you will play merry hell the next time (and there will be
> > next time) you have to pull the engine. If it were me I'd put the flex
> > line
> > in. Do you have the gusset on the passenger side frame for the flex line?
> > If
> > not it might be a bit tricky but still doable to install flex line. IMHO,
> > lack of flex line is why your hard line is buggered!  There is a reason it
> > was designed with a flex line and not a hard line. You've apparently found
> > it.
>
>But it WASN'T "designed with a flex line". The flex line didn't start until
>1967 per Horler.
>To go to a flex line would require replacing the slave cylinder with a later
>model and welding a tab on the subframe to hold the end of the line. This
>car came from the factory with a hard line with a few coils near the end to
>add "flex". It will work fine that way. Someone take a picture of their
>proper hard line setup with the coils and email it to him.
>David Lieb
It's even more than that! Look, the slave cylinders are different
bore diameters between 1098 and 1275. The diameter of the pipes are
different. Solid line is 3/16" going into a 7/8 bore slave.  Flex
line AND THE PIPE to it are 1/4"  going into the 1" bore 1275 slave.
There is a reason and it has to do with pedal travel, and clutch
release. IMHO, you should match the hydraulics to the clutch you are using.

Peter C