Re: [Spridgets] Vintage Alloy Wheels On Ebay Important Update

To: Bud Pazur <bpazur@excel.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Vintage Alloy Wheels On Ebay Important Update
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:45:50 -0400
Bud Pazur wrote:
> I tried one of the wheels on my stock street Bugeye last night. While the
> bolt pattern is correct, the wheels don't accept the standard 3/8" studs and
> lug nuts. The holes in the wheels are about 5/8" in diameter and 3/4" deep.
> The standard lug nuts don't go on far enough and don't center properly. These
> wheels must have used special deep cap nuts, as evidenced by the paint
> missing around the holes. The race Bugeye PO must have either used long 5/16"
> studs, or had the special cap nuts. In any event, in good conscience, I am
> going to cancel the auction. If anyone is still interested in these wheels in
> light of the above info, contact me off-list. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Bud Pazur

Bud,
Not too difficult to fix and I went through this search recently. My
race car came back to me with the lug nuts for the Revolution wheels
missing, and I needed 5/8' dia. sleeve nuts. What I learned was that
they are available for 3/8 studs from Revolution wheels in England.
Revolution did not have 5/8 sleeve nuts for 7/16 studs, which used to be
available, so I decided on another, cheaper solution. I enlarged the
holes to 11/16" dia to use .680" dia. sleeve nuts which seems to be the
standard in the USA. Summit Racing Equipment has them for 7/16 studs,
and Peter Baumgartner sells two styles on ebay for 3/8" studs. Pay
particular attention to the sleeve length so you have adequate thread
engagement, and the washer diameter because it has to fit in the
counterbore. I ended up buying different sets becasue I need an 1-1/16
OD washer and didn't want to turn down  the larger chromed washers. If
you have any questions I'd be happy to dig into my stuff.
John
Fogelsville, PA