Re: [Spridgets] Big Brother is on the way...

To: <john.leier@leier.org>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Big Brother is on the way...
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 05:31:38 -0800
Well, that's taxed too already, isn't it? :)

More to the point, I've read of ideas where charging stations are set up
at places of work, public parking garages, etc. where one would recharge
the car while at work/shopping etc. That juice could certainly be taxed
like a fuel tax.

Another Israeli firm (I read this in Wired a few months back) has the
idea that one buys a car, but leases the battery pack. Then if you need
a charge while away from home, you can drive into a Jiffy-Lube type of
building and swap your battery pack out for a freshly charged one. I'm
sure that transaction could be taxed as well.

The idea for taxing per mile is essentially already here. How many of
you have EZ-Pass? On something like the NY Thruway, Jersey Turnpike, or
Mass Pike, it's essentially a per-mile road tax. You have an RFID tag in
your car, which id's you and the amount you drive.

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/