Re: [Spridgets] still no workie...

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] still no workie...
From: "Richard Ball" <richb@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:17:31 -0700
As a follow up to Ed's question.

The distributor that Ed has is one that he bought as new off of eBay and is
not the OPUS or CEI units that were used on the 1500's.  It is similar to
this unit currently on eBay.  The instruction said to hook it to the coil.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Spitfire-NEW-Lucas-electronic-distribu
tor-225_W0QQitemZ150378726301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Access
ories?hash=item230345439d

Our current working assumption is that the distributer is malfunctioning and
is retarding the spark as the RPM's increase.  We will throw a timing light
on it soon to see what actually is happening as we increase the RPM.  When
the engine was timed originally after the rebuild the timing seemed to
fluctuate  which furthers the suspicion of the distributor.

Here are the symptoms again.  The engine starts right up and idles fine.
When you open the throttle the engine RPM increases as it should until about
2200 RPM.  At this point any further opening of the throttle causes the
engine flatten out, bog down, stumble, chose your adjective.  It does not
miss.  Any increase past this will cause the engine to die.  During all this
the fuel pressure stays constant at 3 psi.  When you let off on the throttle
it returns to a nice idle.

We'll know more when we get a timing light on it.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, Wa