Re: [Spridgets] Fractional Vernier Caliper

To: Hal Faulkner <frog.aye@gmail.com>, Spridgets
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fractional Vernier Caliper
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:37:28 -0600
> Yeah, BUT
> Horrible Fright has a 6" one without the fractional feature for 12.99
> (coupon special expires 11/30.  You can pick up the book of coupons as you
> walk in the door.) Get 3 and use the money you've saved to buy some little
> metal plates with the decimal equivalents of fractions, drill sizes, etc.
> The one I bought several years ago works as well as my Starrett, and I
don't
> have to worry about dropping or loosing a $150 caliper.

Yeah, BUT
My Horrible Fright digital vernier EATS batteries, even if you don't
turn it on.
I know enough of the decimal equivalents to get by on, but the cool
factor is outstanding. I recall a friend who had a Casio calculator in
1977 that was able to accept fractions, display them as fractions,
perform arithmetic functions on them and return the answer as a
properly reduced fraction. I guess it never caught on.

David L