[Spridgets] battery drain--update

To: spridgets <spridgets-aus@yahoogroups.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] battery drain--update
From: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:05:46 -0800 (PST)
Greetings folks,
I had my alternator repaired (rectifier had blown diodes) and put it back in
last night.
No more ignition light unless the ignition is on and the engine stopped (as it
should be).
 The  auto electrician showed me the old rectifier, and how one of the diode
wires had earthed against a plate and welded to it.
He also said that it wasn't a genuine Lucas rectifier and that the diodes were
very cheap and feeble looking.
He reckoned the alternator was a 'bitsa' . The only thing that bore the Lucas
name was the outer case.

Engine is still running like a pig, so the search continues....

To be honest I am a  bit stumped.

The engine will run, but it misses and pops and spits out the carb.

My engine has a "TRIGER"  Gilmer belt cam drive. Has anyone ever heard of
these jumping a tooth and putting the valve timing out by a few degrees? It
doesn't seem likely......I think I am clutching at straws here...

My spark seems healthy enough... and the single SU (hif-44) seems to be fine..
I pulled the dashpot off and checked for dirt in the jet and anything that
might be wrong...but found nothing suspect.

I figure that whilst the alternator was knackered, it was hurling alternating
current through the wires, which can't have done much good for anything. I am
wondering if this might have damaged the coil.... the symptoms don't seem to
fit with a bad coil though....

I think I will put one of my dellortos on, just to see if I can eliminate the
SU from the line-up.

open to ideas and suggestions.

Cheers

Andy
Gold Coast

Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7.
Enter now: http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/